The story so far:Jamie and I did a lot of research before coming into the hospital to find out what the “Best” way of having a baby was. I can tell you, there’s a lot of opinions out there. The conclusion that we came to was that the safest way of having a baby was to keep the medical folk from using their toys and having minimal ‘interventions’. When Jamie’s water broke Tuesday morning, that changed a bit of our plans. The problem with the water breaking is that it disrupts the infection fighting system around the baby. It’s not bad in itself, but it starts the clock on an increasing risk of infection. Through the day and the night of the first 24 hours in the hospital, we were having lots of contractions, but nothing that really resolved itself into the pattern of Active Labor. We kept hoping, and trying…Jamie was walking herself up and down flights of stairs trying to get things started. However, we just didn’t get the ball rolling. We were just too early. But the water was broken so we were committed. Wednesday morning, we decided that we needed to push things along, and so we asked for the cervical softening agent. This really kicked things into gear. Jamie had awesome contractions and a real pattern going. I will never be able to express to anyone the incredible respect I have for my wife for the way she fought through 12 hours of masive, intense labor. After each hit, she looked up and said “May I have another.” However, after a day of beating, we still didn’t have a accellerating dialation of the cervix, and we weren’t making progress. Actually, we were making progress, but it really looked like it might be another 24 hours of the same. The medical staff was complaining and saying they wanted to speed things up. Jamie and I had a talk, in between eruptions. We decided we wanted to speed things up, for the baby and the ticking clock of the infection risk. We knew that more interventions meant more chances of complications, but if nature was going to take too long…. We opted for getting the epidural, and starting on the pitocin. The anesthesiologist came in and stuck a couple of needles in Jamie’s back, and pretty soon she was happy and relaxed. It was really fun seeing Jamie again after a day of losing her into focused meditation and breathing and pain. Unfortunately, almost immediately, the complications started. Jamie’s blood pressure took a dive, due to the pain medicine, and the baby’s heart rate slowed. Soon Jamie was covered with diagnostic gear, and electrode was placed into the baby’s scalp to keep the monitoring good. A quick hit of blood pressure medicine fixed the crisis, and the staff set to tuning the medications to keep the problem from recurring. It happened twice more before morning. Now we’ve been on the epidural, and the pitocin for about eight hours. We’re still not getting the fast cervical dialation we need, and the staff is starting to talk to us about a cesarian. I don’t know if there was ever any chance of avoiding that result, but I definitely feel that there is a great Delivery Room Train. Once you climb aboard, a lot of the passengers end up on rails to the same destination. We’re hoping to end up with a healthy baby, and a healthy mommy, and with luck, we’ll be done this afternoon. Love to you all.
We’ve got Jamie on the spine pain medicine (I can’t think of the name anymore I’m so tired).
She’s supposed to get some sleep while the drugs take effect and we’ll have the baby in the mornin’
Contractions are coming very fast and getting long. I’ve seen several less than a minute apart. I’ve seen contractions running for 3 minutes. I think we’re going to have a baby today.
Contractions are getting close to 3 minutes apart and are more intense. She’s doing her Bill Cosby breathing exercises like a champ and things are going great.
So most of the night had been a combination of trying to sleep, lying awake questioning if I’d made the right choice, and waking up in drastic pain and needing to go to the bathroom. I finally asked for some meds to help sleep at 2am. That at least helped me sleep for an hour at a time until the contractions/bathroom called my name.At 5:45 I woke up ready to go to the next step. 24 hours from my water breaking meant I’d be okay with finally getting a cervical exam and figuring out how to “augment” my labor. Man, I wonder who thought of THAT term. Sarah, the midwife did the exam and assessed my condition as “still not progressing”. So, we put in a cervical softener. Holy Shit, has that gotten the ball rolling!!!! Since then, I’ve been having contractions every 4 minutes (instead of 10 …..
Just deployed a ripening agent. They say it may be a while yet.
It was a very fitful night of sleep for both of us, and we still don’t have Jamie “in labor”.We’re going to get our morning monitoring and tests done, get some breakfast, and then get the sherriff in there to serve this baby eviction papers.
We’re getting a break from our monitoring if Jamie gets a nap in.Bathroom. (measure the pee) Then quiet time. Still just waiting for baby to get pushy.
No news to report yet. The contractions have slowed for a bit. We’re just waiting for things to pick up….or until morning if they don’t happen on their own.
We had a couple of stressful hours here. Around 5pm, the nurses here appeared to decide that we had messed around long enough and that they wanted to induce labor before their coffee break.
They trotted out a lot of pressure and ‘we know what we’re doing’ and ‘safety of the child’ stuff, and didn’t listen once when we told them that we didn’t want to have a lot of intervention in the process.
After that, we both has some really supportive conversations with Grandma Marcia and Grandma Susan. They bucked us up, and we dragged our heels until the shift changed.
When the new midwife showed up and started bugging Jamie about “Getting Things Going”, Jamie told her to stuff it, and that we’d be waiting until morning before doing anything more.
Now we’re relaxed again and waiting for our girl to show up in her own time.